- This topic is empty.
- July 24, 2008 at 8:43 am #23246tomwillGuest
I’ve noticed that boxing, wrestling and fight-type workouts are getting used more and more in rugby, and i’ve seen that you recommend them in most programmes too.
I’d like to include something like that once a week as a non-running conditioning session but other than using a punch bag in a traditional 1-minute-round format i’m not sure how to approach this style of training.
Any ideas would be great….
Thanks, and all the best
TomJuly 24, 2008 at 9:52 am #24138ashleyGuest
Hi Tom, best to get a real boxing coach to take you through the techincal points so you do not strain your wrists and also a good pair of wraps is essential as well, we have a specialist come in during our off season to take 1 or 2 sessions a week including body sparing, I mainly do a session during season as a cross training session or for lower body injured coming back, here is one of the sessions, cheers, ashley
Warm up 60 seconds each
Overs/Unders/Hooks then swap with partner then
L jab for 30 secs then R jab for 30 secs then change
now build up to a 7 punch combo
1. L jab/R cross 30 seconds each
2. L jab/R cross/L upper 60 seconds each
3. L jab/R cross/L upper/R hook 90 seconds each
4. L jab/R cross/L upper/R hook/L cross 2 minutes each
5. L jab/R cross/L upper/R hook/L cross/R upper 2.5 minutes each
6. L jab/R cross/L upper/R hook/L cross/R upper/L hook 3 minutes each
then conditioning work:
1. sit up 1 – 2 punch partner standing on partners feet 90 seconds each
2. push up 1 – 2 90 seconds each
3. seated punch over head 90 seconds each
4. 10 hits and grab 90 seconds each
then cool down with 3 minutes of shadow boxingJuly 28, 2008 at 4:23 pm #24140tomwillGuest
great, thanks ash. i’ll be giving that a try tomorrow!June 29, 2010 at 10:04 pm #24141boz84Guest
Anybody got any ideas on a good wrestling and grappling conditioning session that includes short interval sprints that could work well for rugby?
Any you guys use a similar program at your clubs?any thoughts/ideas would be great.
What are peoples thoughts on the similarities between mma strength and conditioning and that of a rugby program, what stuff could you use from mma to help with rugby?
BenJuly 1, 2010 at 4:09 pm #24139bris83Guest
3mins of wrestling, in pairs in knees trying to pin partner on their back, change partners on the whistle every 15s.
Rest for 60s.
Complete 3 mins of a running drill of your choice
Rest for 60s.
Complete a 7 min conditioning game (including a 60s half-time).
work through 3/4 sets.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.