• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #23341
    ashley
    Guest

    Full Body versus Body Part Training
    Ashley Jones

    Well, I must say it is getting harder to decide which training day I am loving the most, having always been a huge fan of Systemic exercises, those which create an effect throughout the entire body not just the specific body part or group of muscles directly effected by the movement, I am also loving integrating more specific movements into the body part split weekly plan to targets body parts and to bring up weak points in the overall kinetic chain. So which is better, and this is just one man`s opinion, overall strength I would have to say 2 – 3 full body workouts per week, but if you are after size I would say a body part split approach, ideally wanting the best of both worlds include some high load low rep movements in your splits or cycle the programs over time.

    Full Body (2 – 3 per week)

    1 x Olympic (can be left out)
    1 x Squat
    1 x Hamstring/Lower Back
    1 x Upper Body Push & Pull

    Body Part Split (just one example of many available)

    Monday – Chest & Triceps

    Tuesday – Squatting (Quad dominant movements)

    Wednesday – Back & Biceps

    Thursday – Shoulders

    Friday – Lower Back & Hamstrings

    #24619
    si987
    Guest

    Hi ash,

    My season finishes at the end of april, so from then onwards im looking to pack on some size for the next season, which begins in sept. So, i was wondering should i use a body part training method come the end of april, then move to full body sessions and power sessions as the season gets closer? Or would a body part training method not be any use?

    Im hoping to put on 5-10kg during the off season, as next season i will be playing with the mens 1sts at my club, so will need a bit more bulk.

    Also, if you have any split training programs you could send me i would be very greatful

    cheers simon

    #24612
    ashley
    Guest

    Hey Simon, I think the body part split is a great way to increase size
    and strength, and then switch to a full body strength and power
    combination as you get closer to your start date, as for split programs
    it all depends on your availability to train, I like a 5 day split one
    large and one small body part per workout, or a great method is to hit a
    body part twice in a day with a heavy strength and power emphasis in the
    AM workout and a size/strength endurance workout in the PM, I have
    posted a few of these type programs recently, let me know what you would
    like to explore and I can direct you or specifically write one for you
    and put it on the site, cheers, ash

    #24613
    ashley
    Guest

    @si987 1436 wrote:

    Hi ash,

    My season finishes at the end of april, so from then onwards im looking to pack on some size for the next season, which begins in sept. So, i was wondering should i use a body part training method come the end of april, then move to full body sessions and power sessions as the season gets closer? Or would a body part training method not be any use?

    Im hoping to put on 5-10kg during the off season, as next season i will be playing with the mens 1sts at my club, so will need a bit more bulk.

    Also, if you have any split training programs you could send me i would be very greatful

    cheers simon

    Here are some options for you based around similar exercises, these are up to you to include the way you wish also sets and reps are a guide use the ideal for you, just wanted to put it on paper to give you an idea of how I would set it up, I may even start you on the 5 day per week program for 3 – 4 weeks, then go to the 4 days per week program for 3 – 4 weeks and then finish with the 3 double day split for 3 weeks only, then you can change it up and move into more of my regular strength and power programs, cheers, ash

    Link:
    https://www.getstrength.com/downloads/Hypertrophy-Options.pdf
    ***************

    #24618
    colesy
    Guest

    Hi Ash,

    My first post on here. great site by the way, its helping me so much already.
    I would just like to know why there is such variety in the sets on the options program that was attached to this thread. There are some sets that are 4 x 6, some are 5 x 5 and some 3 x 8. Just a bit a clarity would help.
    many thanks
    Mark

    @ashley 891 wrote:

    Full Body versus Body Part Training
    Ashley Jones

    Well, I must say it is getting harder to decide which training day I am loving the most, having always been a huge fan of Systemic exercises, those which create an effect throughout the entire body not just the specific body part or group of muscles directly effected by the movement, I am also loving integrating more specific movements into the body part split weekly plan to targets body parts and to bring up weak points in the overall kinetic chain. So which is better, and this is just one man`s opinion, overall strength I would have to say 2 – 3 full body workouts per week, but if you are after size I would say a body part split approach, ideally wanting the best of both worlds include some high load low rep movements in your splits or cycle the programs over time.

    Full Body (2 – 3 per week)

    1 x Olympic (can be left out)
    1 x Squat
    1 x Hamstring/Lower Back
    1 x Upper Body Push & Pull

    Body Part Split (just one example of many available)

    Monday – Chest & Triceps

    Tuesday – Squatting (Quad dominant movements)

    Wednesday – Back & Biceps

    Thursday – Shoulders

    Friday – Lower Back & Hamstrings

    #24614
    ashley
    Guest

    Purley as an example of the plethora of different loading methods are available based around 24 reps which I have come to believe off a good beginning point upon which to start your journey as to working out which combinations work best for the person, so I would use all or just one at various times with a variety of people and ascertain which work best,
    cheers, ash

    #24617
    cmjones01
    Guest

    Hi Ash,

    Im just curious, why are the triceps worked twice in one week (5 day split program) and biceps only once? Are pushing movements are more important in rugby than pulling movements?

    Cheers

    Chris

    #24615
    ashley
    Guest

    I have always worked triceps harder in my programs since they are 2/3 of the arm mass, and so many of my players have done so much biceps work in the past so I am trying to to balance out programs from previous imbalances, cheers, ash

    #24620
    si987
    Guest

    @ashley 1438 wrote:

    Hey Simon, I think the body part split is a great way to increase size
    and strength, and then switch to a full body strength and power
    combination as you get closer to your start date, as for split programs
    it all depends on your availability to train, I like a 5 day split one
    large and one small body part per workout, or a great method is to hit a
    body part twice in a day with a heavy strength and power emphasis in the
    AM workout and a size/strength endurance workout in the PM, I have
    posted a few of these type programs recently, let me know what you would
    like to explore and I can direct you or specifically write one for you
    and put it on the site, cheers, ash

    Hi Ash,

    i have recently just recovered from a shoulder injury i recieved on the last game of the season, the physio at the club has giving me the okay to get back to the gym. In answer to your question, i would quite like to go with a 5 day hypertrophy, are you still able to specifically write one for me?

    cheers Simon

    #24616
    ashley
    Guest

    Simon, you just need to follow any of the upper body hypertrophy
    programs that I have written and work heavy on the uninjured side with
    DB’s or if you have cables or Hammer equipment and use a lighter weight
    for slightly higher reps on the inured side, say 15 – 20 reps as opposed
    to the heavier 6 – 10 reps on the uninjured side, how about you have a
    go at writing something and I will have a look over it and make any
    changes if I see anything that is glaringly out of kilter wityh what you
    require, cheers, ashley

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Close Menu
×

Cart

[wpforms id="8"]