off-season training confusion

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ridgerunnersp

Hi guys, I’m new to this forum and I’m really excited about using all of its resources. I’m from the US, and I’ve been training for 10 years and playing rugby for 7. I’m just now starting to get into rugby specific training, as before I just did bodybuilding workouts. I’m 23, 6’2, currently 218 lbs. at 14% BF (down from 225 in the winter). I played prop in college, but now I’m playing back-row for a men’s club. It’s only been a year since college, and I haven’t yet built up a great aerobic base, but I figured I’d wait till about 2 months out to start hitting that hard. My main goal this summer is to build up my explosiveness and speed, but first I feel like I need to add some lean muscle mass, especially in the legs. I’m kind of confused as to where to start, and for how long to do each cycle (hypertrophy, strength/power, specificity/conditioning) as I don’t want to over or under-do each. I have about 4 and 1/2 months to do this, which is plenty of time, but I just need some direction. Thanks!

ridgerunnersp

Ashley, I actually just read the Back Row workout template that is posted from a while ago, and am interested in that. I couldn’t quite figure out how you meant to have that organized into the week, but also I work full time so I don’t know if I have enough time to do that program. Also, would you update that program as it is a couple of years old and if so, how? Finally, is that a suitable program to follow for a 20 week off season?

obi582

If you search for the most recent crusaders off season program, you can do each group in 3-6 week cycles and find that it should easily cover the 20 week requirement.

There are plenty of resources here in which you can just mix it up to what suits you.

I believe Ash once said that all programs work, its just a matter of which gets to your goals more efficiently and has more quality.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Copy link