• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    prop

So what do you guys generally do for nutrition of the athletes you work with.
    Startergies for muscle mass? Body Fat loss? High carb/low carb?

bris83

No starchy carbs.

Caveman diet for majority of players, except on gameday.

Plenty of veg and meat

Supplements used are: fish oil (in high doses), zma, whey protein, multi-vits and muscle armour.

prop

wow so dosent the lack of carbs effect their energy during training/ recovery?

bris83

they still eat carbs…from veg (fibrous carbs)

prop

Potatoes? What about gatorade? PWO shake?

bris83

potatoes-sometimes

gatorade during intense training only

post workout, whey protein and glutamine only.

Obviously not all the squad follow this but only those with fat issues, there are boys who do consume carbs.

prop

So generally how many carbs would a slightly overweight 110kg prop (lol) eat a day during a muscle building phase? I was under the impression that it would be very hard to eat enough fruit/veggies to get anywhere above say 75g carbs

Thanks for the responses btw

bris83

we dont measure carbs in terms of g. but needless to say you can get enough to train at a high intensity but it means loading that plate up with veg, and plenty of it!

prop

ok interesting, do players still gain muscle with this approach or just drop body fat?

bris83

they gain muscle and loose fat

onspeed

hi mate

interesting – you say veg … but I am assuming you mean fruit as well???

What is compliance like on this approach?

We tried it but found that modifying back more towards a zone type
    approach produced better long term compliance

cheers

ashley

@prop 512 wrote:

So what do you guys generally do for nutrition of the athletes you work with.
    Startergies for muscle mass? Body Fat loss? High carb/low carb?

We are sponsored by Musashi, and access Glutamine, BCAA’s, Whey Protein, A Creatine Muscle Stack recovery formula, this we have in a drink machine in the kitchen attached to our weight room, so that players can sip on it during the workout, they are skinfolded once every 4 weeks if they need that level of attention if not just to begin the off season and periodically at their request, cheers, ash

ashley

@prop 515 wrote:

wow so dosent the lack of carbs effect their energy during training/ recovery?

I personally think that players have been give the high carb message far too much by nutritionists over the years and that they need considerably less and need higher levels of complete proteins, good fats, and cruciferous veges like broccoli, cheers, ash

powersports

I’m a second rower with a playing weight of 115kg
    Here is a rough example of what I eat on a typical day:

3 eggs for breakfast plus a slice of cheese on whole grain bread, 2 glasses of milk

tin of tuna for morning snack, glass of milk

grilled chicked sandwich plus salad for lunch

ham sandwich for afternoon tea

protein bar 1 hour or so before workout / rugby training

protein shake (with glutamine & creatine) post workout

Lean meat and vegetables for dinner

zma before bed

This is a pretty general idea, and I often eat more

I don’t have much body fat, and have alot of water throughout the day

Is this diet adequate?

As far as what I look for it is maintaining a good body weight throughout the year, and also functional weight gain in the off season.

Cheers

GetstrengthGetstrength
    Participant

Two very interesting books, available on Amazon.com worth a read.

The Paleo Diet for Athletes: A Nutritional Formula for Peak Athletic Performance

5177GXJRYNL._SL160_PIsitb-dp-arrow,TopRight,21,-23_SH30_OU01_AA115_.jpg

Product Description

Loren Cordain, Ph.D., follows his success of The Paleo Diet with the first book ever to detail the exercise-enhancing effects of a diet similar to that of our Stone Age ancestors.

When The Paleo Diet was published, advocating a return to the diet of our ancestors (high protein, plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables), the book received brilliant reviews from the medical and nutritional communities. Jennie Brand-Miller, coauthor of the bestselling Glucose Revolution, called it “without a doubt the most nutritious diet on the planet.” Doctors Michael and Mary Dan Eades, authors of Protein Power, said, “We can’t recommend The Paleo Diet highly enough.”

Now Dr. Cordain joins with USA triathlon and cycling elite coach Joe Friel to adapt the Paleo Diet to the needs of athletes. The authors show:
    o Why the typical athletic diet (top-heavy with grains, starches, and refined sugars) is detrimental to recovery, performance, and health
    o How the glycemic load and acid-base balance impact performance
    o Why consumption of starches and simple sugars is only beneficial in the immediate post-exercise period

At every level of competition, The Paleo Diet for Athletes can maximize performance in a range of endurance sports.

Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats
    51210RGXETL._SL160_AA115_.jpg
    Product Description

A full-spectrum nutritional cookbook with a startling message–animal fats and cholesterol are vital factors in the human diet, necessary for reproduction and normal growth, proper function of the brain and nervous system, protection from disease and optimum energy levels. Includes information on how to prepare grains, health benefits of bone broths and enzyme-rich lacto-fermented foods.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.