Last Updated on
50 Top Reasons to Front Squat
This list has been comprised of the very best 50 comments on our Facebook page
( http://www.facebook.com/getstrength) on why you must Front Squat.
Front squatting is still one of the most beneficial Exercise you can prescribe for yourself or Clients/Athletes.
The King of exercises –
So here goes!
- The ultimate exercise for posterior chain and quad development.
- The Front Squat teaches muscle awareness.
- Huge upperback development
- Gains in flexability and mobility
- The best core strengthening exercise you can do.
- You will get stronger
- You will get bigger
- You will get leaner
- You will get faster
- You will not end up looking like a parking meter
- Follow gym members will respect you
- You will have to squat
- Huge power gains
- No need to waste your time with Leg Extensions ( Life is to short)
- Your chest and biceps will get a rest
- you don’t need a mirror
- Increased stabilisation through the lowerbody
- Assists in increasing leg drive on conventional deadlifts
- you can use a variety of equipment
- chicks dig it
- Helps with the full clean
- Helps strength in contact when carrying ball in both codes of Rugby IMO given where you carry the weight is usually the point of contact.
- Great for atlas stone assistance work.
- I train at home in the garage, don’t have a leg press handy so it’s front squats for quads after conventional squats
- Upright position makes for big transfer in vertical jumping Variation
- Can be used as a max effort tester lift without having to max out on Back Squats (front squat PR normally means back squat PR – at least to the Novice-intermediate lifter)
- Sport specific squats for Olympic Weightlifters
- Ankle stability – for those with problems with shifting their weight back and forth when squatting
- You get to wear weightlifting shoes!
- Effectively targets the Rectus femoris
- You can dump the bar if you get in trouble.
- Improves hip drive on Thrusters and Kettlebell Swings
- It adds more variety to your work out. Phil Heath Mr. Olympia says they’re essential!
- Targets the quads more than the glutes, monstor wheels!
- Using the GS front squat harness you can still squat if you have a chest or arm injury.
- Has the greatest carry-over of functional strength of all the slower lifts, which in turn translates to the fast lifts well
- Illicit’s a tremendous neuroendocrine response
- Sprint faster! Front squat strength carries over to better performance in most sports
- No strain on the lower neck, upper thoraxics.
- What about old guys like me (68) with bad knees, backs and shoulders? Is there a light weight solution for us?
- The coordination is difficult enough so that it tests and improves your determination and concentration.
- less of a chance for back injury
- high rep front squats have made a huge impact on my leg development and overall strength/endurance
- Because I can use dumbbell front squats!
- Far less spinal compression for those of us with disc issues
- improves posture and spinal alignment.
- Because bitches be crazy! Quad power to get away from your irate Mrs after a big night out with the boys!
- teaches me to come out of the hole head first,not hips first
- Because if you dont squat you can not say you train hard
- It’s juts a ding donged good exercise, that’s why. . . . .And because I said so, now shut up and do two more!
Thanks to all our Facebooks Fans for helping us put this great list of reasons why you must front squat together.
Front Squat Technique
Posted on Front Squat.com
Hi Team, I get asked a lot about the best method for setting up the Front Squat The best advice I can give you is you have to find the technique that works best for you.
If you can get away with it, the Olympic style set up in Front Squat my opinion would be the best option. I would highly recommend trying this setup first, It helps to keep you upright at the bottom of the squat, by keeping your elbows high through out the movement. But there is a lot of people who can not get themselves in this position, therefore here is the list of my to top 5 Front Squat Set-ups.
In order of recommendations:
The Olympic Front Squat Set Up.
My opinion one of the best possible set-ups in the Front Squat. Limitation are flexibility and delt muscle mass. Teaches correct technique in press/jerk.
The Front Squat Harness.
More info on the Front Squat Harness
The Lifting Straps set Up
Arms out in front set up
Bodybuilding Cross over grip